Patreon supporters! The supporter-only PJ party is April 17th, so check it out at patreon.com/sexgetsreal and support at any level to get access.
I am reading a devastating, lyrical book called “Abandon Me” by Melissa Febos. I’m desperately working to get her on the show soon to talk about her memoir (and her former work as a dominatrix).
In the meantime, this week’s show is a fun, informative interview with Siouxsie Q.
We dive into her work with the Free Speech Coalition combatting harmful anti-porn, anti-sex work laws, including talking about what we can do, as consumers of porn, to help protect workers in the industry. You’ll be especially horrified at the new set of laws sweeping the U.S. in the wake of the “porn health crisis” that everyone is freaking out about – with zero evidence, I might add.
Then we talk about why porn is her favorite, what her parents think of her adult industry career, and we wrap up our chat fielding some listener questions about polyamory and non-monogamy.
Oh! And we dive into why sex is magic and why sex workers are some of the most powerful beings on earth. LOVE IT.
It’s a blast, Siouxsie is so sweet and smart, and I know you’re going to love it.
Don’t forget to send in your sex confessions! I created a guidelines page for you. March & April’s theme will be messes!
In this episode, Siouxsie and I talk about:
- Siouxsie’s work in campaigning against Prop 60 in California last year and why it was so important that the entire adult industry mobilized against this terrible bill. Yay for defeating it! It could have destroyed the porn industry.
- CalOSHA and how regulation needs to include the voices of the people it seeks to legislate or regulate – like sex workers and porn.
- The Free Speech Coalition and all the amazing work they do for the adult industry. Your membership, if you love porn and want to support sex worker rights, helps keep them doing this rad work. Check it out here!
- The Human Trafficking Prevention Act that is showing up in all 50 states but it’s targeting porn and consumers rather than actually trying to help trafficked victims. Utah is going to terrifying lengths to ban porn. Loads of states are declaring porn a “public health crisis” without any actual evidence or data. The fear-mongering is getting ridiculous.
- How can consumers get involved in these issues? Siouxsie has ideas!
- Why Siouxsie loves performing in porn the most of the various forms of sex work she’s experienced. She just recently got back into porn and filmed a scene with Andre Shakti.
- The beauty of filming sex and how it’s different from sex that’s private.
- Siouxsie’s parents and how amazing they are about her choices and supporting her journey. It’s pure delight.
- A listener question from A about polyamory. She has a husband and a boyfriend, but her husband is having a hard time finding a partner for himself. This is causing pain and suffering, and A is wondering how to help support her husband.
- Crushes and how to navigate a crush when you’re in a monogamous relationship. Listener Julia needs help, and Siouxsie, who loves crushes, has loads of advice.
- Telling your partner when you have a crush, or even talking about crushes when you’re in a monogamous relationship and how to navigate those feelings BEFORE something happens is so important. Talk about the things.
- Why Siouxsie calls herself the worst girlfriend in America on a regular basis.
About Siouxsie Q
Siouxsie got her start in the business dancing at the unionized Lusty Lady Theater in San Francisco, and has worked as a performer in adult films since 2012, garnering two AVN Award Nominations and a Feminist Porn Award. During that time, she has been an unrelenting advocate for the rights of all sex workers.
Siouxsie Q is an author, weekly columnist for SF Weekly, and the creator of The Whorecast, a podcast network showcasing the diverse voices of the adult industry. She has lectured extensively on sex and sex work, and is regularly quoted and featured in the mainstream media, including CNN, USA Today, Cosmopolitan, Wired, Buzzfeed and America with Jorge Ramos. Her first book, Truth, Justice, and the American Whore, was published this year through 3L Media to rave reviews.
She joined The Free Speech Coalition, the trade association of the adult industry, in May of 2016, to help them soundly defeat both Cal/Osha Regulation 5193.1, and Proposition 60, both of which would have put adult film performers at immense risk.
She recently has returned to performing in adult films, and is excited to continue campaigning for the rights of adult industry workers, specifically through combatting the harmful wave of legislation declaring pornography to be a “public health crisis.”
You can stay in touch by following Siouxsie on Twitter @whorecast, @siouxsieqjames, @fscarmy, by reading her book “Truth, Justice, and the American Whore,” by checking out Free Speech Coalition, and by popping over to Instagram as TheRealWhoreNextDoor.
Listen and subscribe to Sex Gets Real
- Listen and subscribe on iTunes
- Check us out on Stitcher
- Don’t forget about I Heart Radio’s Spreaker
- Pop over to Google Play
- Use the player at the top of this page.
- Now available on Spotify. Search for “sex gets real”.
- Find the Sex Gets Real channel on IHeartRadio.
Hearing from you is the best
Call or text: 747-444-1840 (standard messaging rates apply)
Contact form: Click here (and it’s anonymous)